Poster: GreenManaleshi Date: Feb 7, 2005 12:06am
Forum: etree Subject: John Cipolina

I see Zero shows here (which by the way are incredible) but no other bands that Cipolina was invloved in (Fish[Barry Melton] and Chips), (Gravenites Cipolina aka Thunder and Lightning), (Terry and the Pirates), (Quicksilver), (Dinosaurs), (Copperhead), and so many more. I heard the family of Cipolina is kinda stingy, for whatever reasons, but i see none of his old live stuff for sale, so what would be the reason otherwise? I know i would LOVE to see some of those old shows made available. I have some things I know no-one else has that i would contribute if it was ok'd to do so.

Poster: amellowsoul Date: Mar 19, 2005 8:31pm
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

Ah, yes, that lovely John Cipollina question. I have talked to Steve Keyser before, along with Barry Melton, Merl Saunders, and a few others about the sharing of JC's music outside Zero. Everyone has a decent "yes" reply, if not even friendlier. Steve Keyser told me also that the estate has him in charge of the tapes. So, if we wish to continue this, who do we contact? Do I have get an email for Keyser confirming or do I also need to get a hold of A. Cipollina as well? Be glad to help out in any form here! ;)
A sad but true sidenote : I don't think Duncan wants QMS shared.. just so you know. :/

Poster: Brad Leblanc Date: Mar 19, 2005 9:30pm
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

Steve Keyser told me also that the estate has him in charge of the tapes.

If this is true, then an email from Steve would do the trick.

A sad but true sidenote : I don't think Duncan wants QMS shared.. just so you know. :/

Darn. Quicksilver would be a good addition...

Thanks for the info!

This post was modified by Brad Leblanc on 2005-03-20 05:30:11

Poster: amellowsoul Date: Mar 23, 2005 5:32am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

Okay, I emailed Steve a few minutes about this. Besides the Cipollina bands, I also mentioned Quicksilver. We shall see, stay tuned everyone.

Poster: amellowsoul Date: Mar 24, 2005 2:16am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina - Yes (even QMS!)

Howdy folks -
I hear back from Mr. Keyser, and it looks like we can even share Quicksilver! The only thing we must do is email him when we post a show, so he knows what's going on. Sounds very acceptable if you ask me. I will post the email in the next post.
As a vet with Cipollina-based recordings online, I have run quite a bit of trees and several vines, so if help is needed, you don't need to look very far at all. ;)
The first order of business I think is we do the several bands he played in as separtate entries (Dinosaurs, Problem Child, Thunder & Lightning, Copperhead, etc. etc.) or do we keep it under the "John Cipollina" name alone? Some bands, esp. Thunder & Lightning, were known as that, Nicksilver & Gravenites/Cipollina Band when in truth, they are pretty much the same band.
This makes me like just "John Cipollina" better for then people can find all off them under one roof, but this has a drawback that, like Dinosaurs, John surely wasn't the leader, and "forgotting" about Melton, Hunter, Albin, Dryden, Saunders, etc. isn't really "fair" either.
We need to sort this and other small things out before we can begin IMHO, but yes, yes indeed, this is GREEEAT news for all ya Cip fans! Please email me at amellowsoulAThappyhippieDOTcom if you wish to help.

Poster: amellowsoul Date: Mar 24, 2005 9:54am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina - Yes (even QMS!)

From: [edit: Steve Keyser- mod.]

To: amellowsoulAThappyhippieDOTcom

Subject: RE: Archive.org - Do you "make the moves?" ;)

Date: Wed 03/23/05 03:04 PM

Hi Tom,

I am the official archivist for the Cipollina audio and video collection. It sound fine to me for folks to make John's music available, since there is no selling of music going on here. Please let me know when someone posts some John music, so I can check it out.

Thanks,

Steve

Not wanting the spam bots to be happy, I changed the "." and "&" with DOT and AND. Other than that, nothing else was changed from Mr. Steve Keyser reply.

This post was modified by Diana Hamilton on 2005-03-24 17:54:54

Poster: Diana Hamilton Date: Mar 24, 2005 3:08am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina - Yes (even QMS!)

Instead of posting this to the public forum, please email the unmunged version (with typical to/from/date headers) to the admin contact address at etreeATarchive.org (going to check my email shortly). If what you wrote in query is quoted, more to the good. Thanks!

This post was modified by Diana Hamilton on 2005-03-24 11:08:30

Poster: Diana Hamilton Date: Mar 24, 2005 9:56am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina - Yes (even QMS!)

Looking good now, thanks! :) Expect to see the Cipollina section go active soon for his more misc stuff. Meanwhile I'd like to touch base first to be sure about Quicksilver.

Poster: Brad Leblanc Date: Mar 24, 2005 10:18am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina - Yes (even QMS!)

I hear back from Mr. Keyser, and it looks like we can even share Quicksilver!

Friggin psyched! Has this been confirmed?

Thanks Tom and Steve!

Poster: Diana Hamilton Date: Mar 26, 2005 10:37am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina

Followup Q sent mere seconds ago. :)

This post was modified by Diana Hamilton on 2005-03-26 18:37:16

Poster: Diana Hamilton Date: Mar 26, 2005 9:14am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina - Dinosaurs Yes; QMS not yet

OK, here's the latest:

-I'd still need to do additional checking re Quicksilver Messenger Service. Do not upload any QMS now. There is a section pending only.

-We do now have an active section for the Dinosaurs (prefix "dinos" or "dinosaurs"). :)

-We do have an active section for John Cipollina (prefix "cipollina"), where folks could send misc JC shows *besides* his Dinosaurs or QMS gigs.

Thanks, everyone! :)

Poster: amellowsoul Date: Mar 26, 2005 1:00pm
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina - Dinosaurs Yes; QMS not yet

Wee haw! Too bad I can't put up Easter Jam '70 by QMS.... yet. ;) But will find something or other this weekend. Thanks Diana!

Poster: Rivertrance Date: Mar 26, 2005 3:54pm
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina - Dinosaurs Yes; QMS not yet

Oh Yeah! DINOSAURS! For those of you who do not know, they were so much fun. Been waiting years to get my hands on some Dinos. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS HAPPEN!

Poster: greenone Date: Feb 7, 2005 7:52am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

Check the FAQs...

http://www.archive.org/about/faq.php?faq_id=100

Poster: GreenManaleshi Date: Feb 7, 2005 10:40pm
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

thank you so much for your insight into nothing. next time, at least, take off all your clothes and streak around the podium, so we'll have some memory of your short-comings. why some people choose to open their mouths, and say nothing at all, i'll never understand.

Poster: Brad Leblanc Date: Feb 7, 2005 11:05pm
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

thank you so much for your insight into nothing

Huh? I thought that answered your question too. You asked if you can post his shows, the FAQ explains what is needed for the project to allow you to do that - it even goes on to explain why you might not see any recordings by an artist here. Both of these seem relevant to your question.

Please clarify if you need more info than this, and do us all a favor by curbing your icor. Civility inspires a desire to help. Incivility discourages it.

-Brad

This post was modified by Brad Leblanc on 2005-02-08 07:05:30

Poster: GreenManaleshi Date: Feb 8, 2005 6:02am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

It just makes sense that if the zero shows with cipolina on them are allowed, then most likely some of the others of his various groups may be allowed too. I can obviously see that Steve Kimock (and i guess the rest of the members of his bands)allows his shows to be here, but somewhere somehow it seems an ok, must of came from the cipolina family for them to be here too, and I wondered if any avenue had been tried before in those directions. I guess in the future my requests must be more varied, and novel in length to veer from the obvious. All that you have told me so far, is that you know nothing more than I do. So therefore, why say anything? The FAQ's on here are basic knowledge, so forgive me for seeking something, a little deeper and under the surface.

Poster: Brad Leblanc Date: Feb 8, 2005 6:46am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

It just makes sense that if the zero shows with cipolina on them are allowed, then most likely some of the others of his various groups may be allowed too

Yes it does make sense. The difference between Zero and the others is someone approached a member of Zero and got permission (Kimock), but nobody has approached Cipolina for any of his other projects. See the "Artists" list for detailed info on each one. If a band section has not been set up there, then nobody has approached them.

I wondered if any avenue had been tried before in those directions. The FAQ's on here are basic knowledge, so forgive me for seeking something, a little deeper and under the surface.

FWIW, the FAQ's will tell you exactly how to find this info, which is why Dave pointed you there. A possibly more relevant entry is this one:

http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#101

What is the status of band X for the Archive?

You can check on the status of a band relative to the Archive on the Trade-Friendly Band Information page. We have 3 categories:

May be Archived- Band sections have been activated by Archive admins. Shows can be hosted here to the extent permitted by the band. Click on the band name and then their Notes link to see what limits they may have placed on taping, trading or archiving.

Pending- When a patron adds a fresh entry for an an additional trade-friendly band, the new band section is placed in the Pending category, with default status "Not contacted" in its Notes. Admins will update the contact status based on information that people send to etree@archive.org.

Opted Out- Some bands that may be otherwise trade-friendly may have explicitly said, "No, thanks" to our project. We respect their wishes. We still keep notes of their taping/trading policies for reference.

If there is no listing for a band here, maybe they are not trade-friendly, or no one has thought to create a pending section for them yet. In the latter case, chances are no one has tried contacting the band yet (or if a person has tried, he hasn't told us about it yet).

Bands, see other relevant FAQs here and here. Patrons, see more about how you can help here.

We would be thrilled if you or someone would approach Cipolina for the remainder of his projects. We hope the "stingy" rumor is inaccurate.

-Brad

This post was modified by Brad Leblanc on 2005-02-08 14:46:55

Poster: greenone Date: Feb 8, 2005 9:50am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

Thanks, Brad. In other words, and in not so many words, if someone wants a certain band on the archive that is not here, THEY need to do the legwork.

The admins have boatloads of work to do, and most likely aren't as familiar with the musicians/management as their biggest fans are, so they're not the best people to go blindly chasing down permission...

Poster: Diana Hamilton Date: Feb 8, 2005 11:17am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina

chasing down permission

Unfortunately, some of our most difficult chases have been for deceased artists. I'm not sure if we've even had any luck yet?

Besides the fuzziness of figuring out who they are and how to contact the right person(s) to speak for the deceased, it's harder to make a tactful and appropriate approach. Then, it may be much harder for the appropriate heirs/estate to work out an appropriate answer.

It's a huge difference from the "Hey man, can you tell them I can put your shows up?" tack that has worked out with several living artists here.

This post was modified by Diana Hamilton on 2005-02-08 19:17:41

Poster: GreenManaleshi Date: Feb 9, 2005 12:39am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina

i do have some connections, and i am making phone calls. i have been told so far the family is very friendly (but unfortunately, some of the people leading up to the family think they are the family, and they ain't so friendly...cracks me up). My friends were the soundboard crew for the Thunder and Lightning era, and the band, through them, allowed me freedoms with the boards. Now the head of this little sound crew, he has since died too. but i know he had tapes of alot of these shows, so i'm looking for those family members that are still around, because i know many tapes hopefully still exist.
Forgive my omission of the extra "l" in his name...my bad...i knew better...i just had a mental phart. In any case...i am pursuing.

Poster: Diana Hamilton Date: Feb 9, 2005 2:17am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina

Thanks for the legwork, sir! If you get any solid contacts, do point them our way at the LMA admin contact address etreeatarchive.org to work things out for here.

Poster: zerp Date: Feb 8, 2005 6:50am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina

Perhaps with the proper Ouija board, and a good psychic, one can actually talk to John Cipollina. (Note the extra "L") John passed away in 1989, before all this internet file exhange was happening.

Good news for Cipollina fans. The documentary "Electric Guitarslinger" is coming to DVD. Check out the official website for updates, and downloads. You can even view some archival video clips.

http://www.johncipollina.com/

Poster: Brad Leblanc Date: Feb 8, 2005 10:28am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina

My bad, thanks zerp.

Poster: amellowsoul Date: Apr 22, 2005 7:43pm
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipollina

Way past due, but here at last. Pardon my 55 hour work weeks. First item is now added.. Dinosaurs 1982-12-31. It's strangely not found by 'search', but if one goes to the artist list and go down to "Dinosaurs", it's there.. or heck, here is the link.. http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=24589&from=browsePopular

More JC recordings to come. Stay tuned you small but mighty crowd. Say, GreenM, feel free to email me if you wish to be active.. love to have you aboard. My email is found in the info .txt file of the above said show.

Best to all,
-Tom S.

Poster: greenone Date: Feb 8, 2005 12:46am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: John Cipolina

Might take me a bit, but I'd be glad to upload some video of me streaking to the Moving Image Archive if there's still interest. I'm just not sure if it would belong in "Open Mind" or "AV Geeks". ;)